- Find Books, DVDs & More
- Classes & Events
- Research & Resources
- Support the Library
Chace Children's Discovery Library
NOW OPEN! CHECK IT OUT! (Video)
In collaboration with Providence Children's Museum, we've created Rhode Island's latest early learning destination!
The Chace Children’s Discovery Library at PPL offers a captivating and enriching environment, providing a joyful learning experience for young children, their families and caregivers. Through an engaging and artful redesign of PPL’s Young Children’s Library, we aim to:
- Promote a love of reading in young children
- Foster an understanding by parents and family-based caregivers of the importance of pre-reading literacy activities as the foundation for successful reading acquisition
- Provide professional support for early childhood educators
Discovery Library activities and environments focus on these key learning areas:
- Print Motivation/Print Awareness
- Phonological Awareness
- Narrative, i.e. storytelling skills
- Letter/Alphabet Knowledge
- The World of Books & Reading
What comprises the Chace Children’s Discovery Library?
- Book Collections
- Story Time Area
- Activity Tables
- The Forest
- Baby Nest
- Quiet Reading Space
- Parent/Educator Resources
- Professional Resources
- Story Starters and Alphabet Play
- Children’s Work Display Areas
“The Forest,” a whimsical woodland environment that inspires imagination and storymaking with a tree trunk hideaway, giant leaves and other playful props. An artful alphabet mobile of translucent green and yellow birch leaves with letters hidden among them hangs overhead.
Support the Chace Children's Discovery Library by putting a leaf in our Donor Forest!
Print a donation slip.