Library Tour - Chapter 7

Library Tour - Chapter 7

CHAPTER 7 -- Trustee's Room

The Library's beautifully appointed Trustee's Room features gold leaf accents and a stately fireplace of Westerly marble. With the 2012 restorations, the Trustee's Room is now also available to bridal parties and other groups and features a welcoming sitting area, as well as dressing and rest rooms.

Among items of note featured in the room are:

  • The Library's original Honduras mahogany Trustee's table and chairs, refurbished. A discerning eye will note the sculpted corners of the table which mirror the four corners of the room.
  • Two bronze statues by French sculptor Louis Valentin Elias Robert which rest on the fireplace mantel. One of Mercury – the Roman Messenger God, and the other of Fortuna, the Roman Goddess of Chance, which were originally owned by Emperor Maximilian who ruled as Emperor of Mexico from 1864 to 1867. They were given to the Library by Mrs. William Davis Miller, whose father, the U.S. Ambassador to Mexico, received them from the Emperor.
  • A “Williams” Clock – Made by Joshua Harrocks, Lancaster, England (circa 1780). The Library received it in 1905 from the Estate of Charles C. Hoskins. (The clock formerly belonged to Mrs. Samuel Elliot (Mrs. John R. Bartlett’s aunt) and was sold by her daughter-in-law Mrs. Albert Elliott to Mrs. J.B. Hoskins, from whom it passed to her son, Charles.)
  • Varied artwork reproductions from the Library's Special Collections, including prints from Alexander Wilson's American Ornithology, grace the walls.
  • A Terrestrial World Globe – Made in Scotland by W. & A.K. Johnston, Ltd. The globe's elaborate cradle has a horizon ring around the equator which lists months of the year with their astrological counterparts.

CHAPTER 8 -- Special Collections

Viewing page 12 of 16