- Find Books, DVDs & More
- Classes & Events
- Research & Resources
- Support the Library
RI Family Literacy Initiative Offers Free High School Diploma Preparation Classes to Begin Sept. 11
Fall & Winter Sessions are Targeted to Adults Who Speak English as a Second Language
The Rhode Island Family Literacy Initiative (RIFLI) based at Providence Public Library is offering adults for whom English is not their native language the opportunity to register* for free Fall and Winter classes to prepare for the National External Diploma Program. The National External Diploma Program (NEDP) provides an alternative means to achieving a high school credential.
*(Registrants receive several months of FREE classes for a $20 registration fee. Upon successful completion of the preparatory classes, enrollees will be eligible for the NEDP.)
REGISTER NOW! Classes to be held at Providence Public Library and Pawtucket Public Library
The classes are scheduled to begin September 11 and will be offered at Providence Public Library, 150 Empire Street, on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1:30 – 4 pm (call Nancy at 401-455-8041 to register), and at Pawtucket Public Library, 13 Summer Street, on Wednesdays from 1 – 3:30 pm (call Julie at 401-725-9261 to register).
According to RIFLI program coordinator Karisa Tashjian, “This program is specially designed for adult ESL speakers who wish to attain an actual high school diploma. It is a way for busy adults who have gained high school level skills through life, work and family responsibilities to earn a Rhode Island high school diploma.” Unlike a GED certificate, those who complete the NEDP receive an actual high school diploma which is both recognized by employers and accepted by institutions of higher learning.
Who is Eligible for Preparatory Classes?
Those eligible for these free preparatory classes include:
- adults 21 years or older
- immigrants for whom English is not their native language,
- highly motivated individuals who are able to work independently,
- those who score within the Advanced ESL range on a CASAS assessment.
What do the Preparatory Classes Entail?
RIFLI’s classes will prepare candidates to successfully demonstrate 64 life competencies with 100 % accuracy in the Spring of 2013. There are no exams. Tasks include:
- Reading a newspaper and warranty
- Measuring a room for carpeting by computing area and perimeter
- Comparing products and prices and credit sources
- Comparing the news as reported through different sources
- Writing a paragraph, letters of complaint and application and a resume
- Attending and evaluating a live performance
- Identifying health threats and demonstrating first aid procedures
- Locating and evaluating local community resources