- Find Books, DVDs & More
- Classes & Events
- Research & Resources
- Support the Library
Library Rules of Conduct
Providence Public Library provides public library services to all residents of the state Rhode Island.
In order to preserve a suitable environment for providing library services we require that users of Providence Public Library facilities be actively engaged in using the Library, that they not impede others in their use of the Library, and that they not interfere with the operation of the Library.
To maintain an atmosphere appropriate for reading, writing, research and study, and promote the effective delivery of services to all potential users, the Board of Trustees of the Library has adopted the following rules of conduct.
- Eating and drinking are not allowed in public areas.
- Smoking is prohibited in all public areas of the library.
- Animals are not permitted in the Library. (Guide dogs are excepted)
- Disruptive, disorderly, or threatening behavior is prohibited.
- Removing, damaging, defacing or destroying library materials, equipment, furniture, buildings or property is against the law and will be reported to the police.
- Sleeping is not permitted in the Library.
- Patrons whose odor impairs the ability of other users to use the library may be required to leave the Library.
- Soliciting, or distributing leaflets on library property is prohibited. Individuals who wish to distribute materials through the Library, or to place materials through the Library, or to place notices on Library bulletin boards should contact the Public Relations Department.
- Sexual and/or personal harassment is prohibited. This includes making unsolicited and/or unwanted advances, making lewd or suggestive comments, touching, and staring.
- Possession of weapons of any type is prohibited on Library property.
- Altering computer programs, memory, or configuration on any library computer is strictly prohibited. This includes attempting to modify or gain access to system files, passwords, data, and system or network files.
- Library patrons are obliged to abide by the decision of library staff regarding the use of library equipment and computers. Only software or data authorized by Library staff may be used.
- Library rest rooms are to be used for their intended purposes only. Bathing and washing clothes in Library rest rooms are not permitted.
- Appropriate attire must be worn. Shirts and shoes are required.
- Use of sports equipment is not allowed in the Library
Any person who violates these rules may be asked to leave the Library, and/or may have restrictions placed on their use of library materials. Repeat offenders may have their access to the Library limited for a period of time. Individuals who habitually violate these rules or who threaten or endanger library patrons and/or staff may be physically banned from the Library.