Old Front Row
A trio of the oldest buildings of Brown University.
The College on the Hill
University Hall on the right was built in 1770.
University Hall is reminiscent of Revolutionary days.
On the front wall an ivy framed bronze tablet states in part that
The RI Society SAR commemorates by this tablet the occupation of
this building by the Patriot Forces and their French Allies during
the Revolutionary War.
For six years all academic exercises were suspended.
Faculty and students and graduates were engaged in the service
of their country.
Here in 1776 Nathanael Greene received the honorary degree of MA.
He was the first military genius and native of RI to be honored
by the college.
Washington received his LLD degree here in 1790.
Hope College on the left was built in 1822.
Manning Hall built in 1834.
Both were the gift of Nicholas Brown for whom the University was named.