- Find Books, DVDs & More
- Classes & Events
- Research & Resources
- Ask A Librarian/AskRI
- Business & Workforce Center
- Early Literacy Learning Center
- En Español
- Reference Collections
- Reference Links
- Rhode Island Collection
- Search Databases
- Special Collections
- Student Resources
- Support the Library
- Providence Public Library
- Library Tour
How to Find Special Collections Materials
- Special Collections items exist in a variety of formats and collections. The following tools can be used to determine what materials are available:
Encore, the Ocean State Libraries catalog: http://encore.oslri.net:
- (Advanced searching is available through the classic interface at http://catalog.oslri.net/search/X)
- To search for items from the Wetmore Children's Collection, perform a call number search for "edith wetmore". Cataloging of the Wetmore Collection is ongoing.
- Although we're adding records daily, only portions of Special Collections materials are currently listed in the online catalog.
Collection Guides describing the following manuscript and ephemera collections exist in printed form in the Special Collections Reading Room and as pdfs available below.
You can also find guides to many of our manuscript collections by visiting the RIAMCO gateway to statewide archival resources.
- Arnold Autograph Collection
- Arnold Family Papers, 1861-1904
- Edwin W. Arnold Correspondence, 1862-1894
- William Eaton Foster Papers
- Harris Collection on the Civil War and Slavery Manuscripts
- Harris Collection on the Civil War and Slavery Ephemera
- Miscellaneous Manuscripts Collection
- Nicholson Whaling Collection Manuscripts
- John and Elizabeth Pennell Correspondence
- John H. Percival Papers
- Percival Ephemera & Periodical Collection
- Potter & Williams Memorial Collection Manuscripts
- Rhode Island Ephemera Collection (preliminary finding aid)
- Rhode Island Manuscripts Collection
- Rhode Island Soldiers & Sailors Manuscripts Collection
- R.A. Scotti Collection (Hurricane of 1938)
- Updike Autograph Collection
- Updike Ephemera Collection
- Voyagers' Press Collection
- World War II Ephemera Collection (preliminary finding aid)
Other Guides and Checklists
- List of Nicholson Whaling logs
Links to over 750 whaling logbooks.
- Nicholson Whaling photographs list
A listing of a portion of the whaling photographs available.
- Nicholson Whaling scrimshaw
An online gallery of over 70 pieces of scrimshaw.
- Updike Printing Periodicals
A list of some of our 19th- and 20th-century periodicals on printing. (Others available through the online catalog)
- Glass Plate Negative Database
Via the AS220 Paul Krot Darkroom. Use to find, view and order prints of over 1,000 of our glass plate negatives.
- Checklist to the Acts of the General Assembly of Rhode Island in Special Collections
- Providence Public Library records in the English Short Title Catalog
Use the advanced search and limit the Library Code to "nRP" -- 1011 records.
- List of Civil War Ballads in the Harris Collection.
Until everything is available in the online catalog, a number of physical card catalogs, located in the Special Collections department, are still the best way to locate our materials. Card catalogs to the following collections are available for use (* an asterisk indicates the additional availability of a shelf list organized by call number):
- General Collection
- Edward B. Hanes Checkers (Draughts) Collection
- Fiske Harris Civil War & Slavery Collection*
- Fiske Harris Civil War & Ballads Collection
- Nicholson Whaling Collection*
- Nicholson Whaling Collection (chronological file)
- Nicholson Whaling Collection Printed Books
- Nicholson Whaling Collection Photographs
- John H. Percival Magic Collection
- Updike Collection of Books on Printing*
- Updike Collection of Books on Printing
- Daniel Berkeley Updike Correspondence*
- Daniel Berkeley Updike Pamphlet Collection
- Updike Autograph Collection / Arnold RI Manuscript Collection*
- Edith Wetmore Collection of Children's Books*
- Edith Wetmore Collection of Illustrated Books
- Potter & Williams Memorial Collection on Irish Culture*
- Irish Ballads
- Imprints by location (limited)
- Imprints by date (limited)