INFORMATION SERVICES SPECIALIST
(Full time - 35 hours per week, nights and weekends required)
This position is responsible for providing responsive and effective circulation and reference support across all aspects of the Information Services Department. A key role on the library’s information services team, this position is accountable for activities related to both circulation and reference operations, including borrower services, interlibrary loan, ready reference, and outreach. The incumbent is expected to deliver point-of-need assistance and support to library customers and visitors, including first and second level technology support and troubleshooting.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Perform core operational activities related to borrower services including loaning and requesting library items, circulation and patron database management, holds, delivery, stacks maintenance, inventory control, information commons and study and meeting space management, technology loans, printer management, and a wide range of other library services.
- In partnership with librarians, effectively assist with reference and reader’s advisory services to library customers as needed.
- Work collaboratively with Information Services team members to assess department policies and procedures and assist with department documentation.
- Resolve library customer problems with patience and diplomacy and ethically handle sensitive library customer and department information.
- Participate in library marketing, including book display merchandising, blog posts, digital signage, website and social media contributions.
- Contribute to special projects, library-wide initiatives, and sponsor changes and improvements.
- Willing to work evenings and weekends as required.
- Check email daily and respond to emails in a timely manner.
- Support and practice PPL’s stated values and demonstrate and share PPL’s commitment to being an all inclusive organization, including full participation in the implementation of PPL’s diversity, equity, and inclusion roadmap.
- Cultivate practices of diversity, equity, and inclusion within the organization that serves the public and each other.
- Collaborate with External Relations to ignite and activate a community of support for PPL and to amplify the Library’s message and work.
- Participate as a co-selector to contribute to the general collection, pending the approval of both the Head of Information Services and the employee's supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Strong attention to details and strong organizational skills.
- Comfortable working with various technology (i.e. Microsoft programs, Google Docs/Drive).
- Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
- Interact professionally with other employees, patrons, and suppliers.
- Work effectively as a team contributor on all assignments.
- Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations.
Education & Experience Required:
- Spanish/English bilingual a plus.
- Requires a flexible schedule which includes morning, evening, and weekend hours.
- The position is best filled by an energetic, innovative individual with previous library experience.
- Knowledge of automated library systems, circulation and reference services operations, and web technology skills strongly preferred.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills are essential.
- Interest in library trends and emerging technologies, basic word processing and spreadsheet abilities, and comfort with technology and social media are imperative.
- Outstanding work ethic, strong customer service skills, commitment to customer-centered services and flexibility are critical.
- Candidates must possess the ability to work both independently and in a fast-paced team environment with diverse patrons and coworkers.
- Candidates must also be able to exercise tact and good judgment in a variety of situations by following established policies and procedures.
- Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Sheets and other various Google applications experience required.
- Proficient using Zoom.
- Driving/Travel requirements – 0-10%
- Position Location – Providence, RI
- Physical requirements – ability to occasionally lift/move up to 25 lbs.
This position is:
Non-Exempt and is part of the Union
Hours: 35 hours per week, nights and weekends required
Hourly Rate: $18
Please submit cover letter and resume by February 21, 2023.
Submit Cover Letter and Resume to:
The Providence Public Library
150 Empire Street
Providence, RI 02903
In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at the Providence Public Library are based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. PPL is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or medical or common conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, familial status, national origin, ancestry, age (40 and above), disability, veteran status, military service, application for military service, genetic information, receipt of free medical care, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law. PPL will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.