THINK AGAIN | Building Transformation
What You Need to Know!
Our THINK AGAIN building renovation is well underway and expected to last 12—18 months. At this time, we anticipate a spring 2020 reopening. During this time, we will provide news and updates in various ways, including periodic e-newsletters.
WAYS TO STAY INFORMED:
- Throughout our renovation, look for general updates on this page.
- Call us at 455-8000! We will post quick renovation updates on our Renovation Update Line. Press #8.
- Opt for automated text alerts on your phone. Opt in by texting PPLAlerts to 401-298-2013. (Note: Standard text message charges may apply.)
UPCOMING CLOSURES/HOURS CHANGES
The Library will be implementing the following closures and changes in our open hours during the upcoming weeks. Please note, additional changes may be necessary:
OPEN EVENING HOURS
2:30 - 8:30 pm —Monday to Thursday, May 20 to June 6
Friday, May 24 to Monday, May 27
Friday, May 31
Friday, June 7
Saturday, June 1 & June 8 (9:30 am—2:30 pm)
PLEASE NOTE: On Wednesday, May 29, the Library will be open for a special Grow With Google event from 10 am to 5 pm. Registration is required online or onsite for this event. Library services will not be available until 2:30 on that day.
THE 150 EMPIRE STREET BUILDING IS CLOSED; BUT THE LIBRARY CONTINUES TO OFFER LIMITED SERVICES - COME TO OUR WASHINGTON STREET ENTRANCE
- Library services are offered primarily in the Providence Journal Rhode Island Room (accessible from Washington Street), where there is also a small and growing collection of high-demand and new materials.
- You may access the Library for limited services and to pick up holds via Washington Street. Any outstanding PPL materials can still be returned to other OSL libraries.
- Access to computers continues in the Rhode Island Room; you will notice some changes.
- Information Services will continue throughout the renovation; PPL librarians will continue to answer questions in person, by phone, and by email. Access to online resources at ProvLib.org and ProvLibDigital.org will continue unaffected.
- PPL Learning Lounge and Computer Classes will take place in the Garden Courtyard. General public access to this space will be limited.
- Some scheduled programs and special events will continue at PPL during the renovation in the Library’s 1900 spaces (with access at 225 Washington Street), including some teen programs and monthly meetings. Children’s story times will resume on September 18. See details below.
- Our Book Drop on Empire St. is now unavailable. Please bring materials for return in to our check-out desk in the Rhode Island Room. Materials may also be returned to any Providence Community Library branches...the closest are Knight Memorial (275 Elmwood Ave.), Fox Point (90 Ives St.), and Smith Hill (31 Candace St.).
Transforming Providence Public Library
Learn how you can support PPL's THINK AGAIN Capital Campaign.
NEWLY EXPANDED HOURS
PPL's hours have been expanded and will remain in place through our ongoing renovation. New hours are as follows:
THE MAJORITY OF PPL MATERIALS ARE IN STORAGE
Currently, just a small but growing collection of PPL materials are available for holds or checkouts. We are currently anticipating that stored materials will return in June and be available beginning in August.
ITEMS REQUESTED FROM OTHER LIBRARIES CAN STILL BE PICKED UP AT PPL
Access to materials from other libraries, including interlibrary loan requests, will continue. We will continue to receive daily delivery of items requested from other libraries, which can be picked up at PPL. If you have a specific need for items that are in storage, please speak with a librarian for assistance with interlibrary loan.
SECOND, THIRD & FIFTH FLOORS ARE CLOSED
Access is currently limited to Level One and Garden Courtyard in our original building, including restrooms.
SPECIAL COLLECTIONS REOPENING IN JULY
During the months of May and June 2019, Special Collections materials will be relocating within the building and will be unavailable. To set up appointments beginning in July, please contact us at special_collections@
EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS WILL CONTINUE AT THE LIBRARY & OTHER LOCATIONS
These include the Learning Lounge, technology classes, story times, and more. We are pleased to announce the following programs and partner locations:
Library programs, including weekly Baby Steps for Infants, Cradle to Crayons Story times and Family Learning Sundays, which will be held at Grace Episcopal Church in Providence at 300 Westminster St. beginning September 18.Please access all sessions through the CHAPEL STREET door. If you are in front of the church at 300 Westminster St., proceed to rear of the building by going around the corner to the rear door on Chapel Street. PPL staff will unlock the door at the start of each session so please be on time. After 30 minutes, staff will not be available until the start of the next session. All sessions are held on the 2nd floor and strollers must be left on the ground level. These sessions are not handicapped accessible.
ALL EVENTS SCHEDULED THROUGH MORIN CATERING & EVENTS WILL CONTINUE
Events and library rentals of spaces in our 1900 building scheduled through Russell Morin Catering & Events will continue throughout the renovation.
OUR TRANSFORMATION WILL ONLY BE POSSIBLE WITH YOUR SUPPORT
OR MAKE A DONATION TODAY
Select THINK AGAIN CAPITAL CAMPAIGN from the options at the link below.